Old 04-26-13, 09:00 AM
kappadon3

Bikes: Ridley compact (XL), Trek 7.1 FX, Self built Fixie from 80's ten speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call for Help - Decisions!!

Ok, first off this forum is AWESOME!! I have been lurking around learning, laughing, and generally getting all amped up to ride. Here is my situation and my questions

243 lb-er - 6’2” just measured waist at 45.25” (but I wear a 38-40 waist pants WTF?!?!)
Will be 39yo May 6th
Casual rider with the kids easily can pull a 5 mile leisure ride through neighborhoods with the Wally World special with general ease - but I WANT MORE!! I want to ride with the goal of losing weight, general fitness, and challenging myself with a fun and rewarding hobby. Mental release is an added plus. Love to enter races or charity rides to be part of the culture; winning races / breaking records is not a goal.

Stopped at the LBS and they recommended a Trek FX 7.1. With this I dropped a serious hint to the wife that I wanted the 22.5” for my birthday – fingers crossed.1)Given my 2 line info above, is the 7.1 an acceptable bike? Can I work my way up to double digit mile rides with good results?2)If I ‘grow out’ of this bike too soon, what are my options to change components to make it more of a Road style bike (drop bars, more aggro stance ready to ride the earth)? I forgot to ask my lbs, so I wanted to hear you guys’ opinions3)Ebay Chinese shorts – So I see padded undergarment type shorts for anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks. Two part question here
a)Does anyone have ACTUAL experience with these? (would like to hear only from those who have purchased these and tried them)
b)For those who actually had them, I need help with sizing, do they run small? If I wear a size 40 waist in pants size, am I a 2X, 3X, 4X?