Thread: Road Schmutz
View Single Post
Old 04-26-13, 11:33 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
The most unusual thing I've found is what appears to be a Rolex watch. No kidding. It was missing the crown, but otherwise, looked genuine and in good shape. It was still ticking when I picked it up and appeared to have a flywheel (non-quartz) movement.

I tried contacting Rolex to return it to the owner (it had a serial number on it), but they were uncooperative, so it still sits in a drawer somewhere.

I'd get it repaired and wear it, but I'm a $20 Casio kinda guy.
You can usually tell if it's a real Rolex by how smooth the second hand moves. A Rolex second hand moves continuously, not in 1-second jumps. This is something my gf told me; she owns a real Rolex.

And as for that TAG Heuer mentioned previously, if it stopped working that shortly, it was likely a fake. You can usually spot the fakes by just leaving them to sit there. after a couple of weeks, the "stainless" case starts to get pitted. Also, the real Heuers usually have locking crowns (you can screw them down).

Me, I'm just a Swiss Army watch kinda guy. Like most 60+ guys, I was raised in an age where all watches were analog, so I can tell what time it is just with a short glance at a watch face. Digital takes me longer to comprehend, I have to visualize what the time looks like on a real face!

Luis