Old 04-26-13, 05:31 PM
champignon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thorn resistant tires to replace Schwalbe Kojaks but retain performance

I have a Dahon X27H which is being used in Idaho, in a city that is renowned for a local weed known as a "goathead." I don't live in this town normally, however I have business here and spend about 10 days a month here, and this is where the X27H will be used. There is an extensive asphalt bike path system here, mostly along a river, which is by coincidence a place where these weeds thrive. I've ridden around 70 miles here divided over several days, and already gotten my first weed related flat. This was without once getting off the asphalt path.

In an earlier thread a couple of months ago, I posed questions about thorn resistant inner tubes and been told that it was the tire that was way more important. Although Schwalbe (and others) make more thorn resistant tires than the Kojak, I don't want to totally destroy the performance features that would make one "invest" in a "racing style" bike like the Dahon X27H, but at the same time, getting flats here is going to be inconsistent with using the bike in the way I'd like to use it.

Realizing that I may have to sacrifice some performance in the search for more flat-resistance, which are the tires that you would recommend I switch the Kojaks for, to get a good balance of durability and flat resistance, while maintaining at least some performance?

Thanks in advance.