Old 09-08-05, 11:36 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Ridley
Eddy currents are NOT dependent on ferrous metal. Any conductor will work. And the inverse cube law applies, so the frame is NEVER going to set it off.

Your rims are the closest thing to the road. Best way to trigger a sensor is to stop with your rims right on one loop of the sensor. If this doesn't work, the light is defective and you can treat it as a four-way stop legally (IANAL, and I don't know all state's laws). You don't get to ignore it, but you can stop and go when it's safe.

I like the letter in general, including the tone, but I still don't agree that anything is an excuse for disobeying the laws. Every time someone sees a bike disobeying laws, that person loses respect for cyclists (I don't care that "everyone else does it" - people overlook the sins of their own peer group but easily see them in others).
You are right. The magnetic field is induced by current in the loop, and an eddy current is induced in any conductive material placed in the magnetic field. I'll keep your advice in mind.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter