View Single Post
Old 04-30-13, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Thanks. i wanted to take more, but a couple of things affected timing. The tour of the wolf preserve was between 10:30 a.m. and noon, which meant I got a late start on Day 2 of riding. I had to cover about 55 miles with some hills. Stopping for photos really eats into time. You also spend extra energy getting the loaded bike started each time you stop for a photo. Day 3 was old hat for me, so I dont find the scenery that remarkable. I also needed to fit myself in between lunch and rush hour traffc through the suburban sprawl outside the city. I did o.k. with that. Timing would have worked out better if I had not stopped for that second breakfast, which ended up killing close to one hour. I also got delayed by a chatty (i.e., bored) state park ranger when I stopped in to get some water and to check on the status of the campground there that had been closed due to tree instability.

The hardest part for me is getting used to going slow on the flats and over what would be easy terrain riding an unloaded road bike. I have to remind myself that 14 mph into a head or crosswind (Because of the bags, the latter is more of a headiwind than it is when riding an unloaded bike) is making good time.