Old 04-30-13, 03:04 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Just an update since I'm a month away from trying my first tour, albeit a short one. I've got the new wheels back for the bike with spokes that should withstand added weight. Went with some Weinmann rims. New 28c tires are on it. I don't like the rack that much at this point but it was the one I could get to fit (Blackburn MtnRack). Not sure how strong it is but since the tour will be short I'm not planning on really loading up - no need to. I have smaller front panniers that I could try on the rear if these end up being too big for my short trip (they're a little bent after being in storage for a few years). I also have some 30 yr old REI panniers that are in good shape I could try.

The only things left to do are change out the rings to good 'ol round ones (48-38-26) and the front derailleur (I have a couple of different Suntour options. The XT rear derailleur shifts real nice.

I've mapped out a 315 mile route and will be staying at two campgrounds (I was more comfortable spending a little more for the campsite for this first attempt) and a friends place on the third night. Mostly arid, desert type conditions the 2nd and 3rd days. First day will include a 4100 ft mountain pass.

Gotta say I'm excited to get this thing going.