Old 04-30-13, 03:22 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Right on. While I was in neurological rehab, last year, I got an assignment to research the parts of the brain, their functions and the symptoms of injury (to present to my fellow patients, there). Your assertion that DAI doesn't depend on rotational injury aligns with what I found during that research. And, again, I'll have to go back and look at the story again, but I think in the story he said straight-on blunt force failed to reproduce the forces required to induce DAI. I do remember it saying that straight-on blunt force is a rare occurrence in bicycle accidents. (Sorry, I'm at work and the magazine is at home. I can't wait until they put this story on their website.)
DAI doesn't depend on rotational forces. But rotational forces seem to make them far more likely.

Back in the 70's it was discussed in Denmark if boxing should be prohibited. During the discussions I remember informations coming up about how much more dangerous it was to the brain for one to take a hit with a big glove than with a naked fist. Same thing as with the helmet discussion, really.