Old 05-01-13, 02:10 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
.... I haven't had an O ring mount fail on me yet. One of my lights with an O ring mount has been on the bike for 4 years. I have never had a plastic mount fail either. My PBSF mount has been on the seat post for 6 years now.
Just thought I'd chime in on this; I've not had an O-ring mount fail on me either but I very much believe that it can happen quite easily. Some of the Chinese stuff made from plastic can be real brittle. At least if one breaks I can replace it real easily as you can buy these from Action LED and other places.

Last year the plastic clip on my Moon Shield broke when I tried to use in on my helmet. ( very brittle it was )Tried a couple times to get a replacement clip from Moon but to no avail. I ended up removing the clip and fastening my own Velcro mount. Not pretty but it works. Too good a light to throw away.

About these Cateye lights, for an old style rear light these were one of the best. I like rear lights that use AA or AAA batteries because I know that if for some reason I do an epic ride I can always carry extra cells if need be. For the newer self contained rear lamps the only other thing you can do to cover your bases is to bring an extra self-contained rear lamp along in case the first runs out. ( Note; I just discovered that the Shield works when connected to the USB charger. Perhaps it will run with an external battery atttached. If so that would be great! )