View Single Post
Old 05-03-13, 12:02 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I just returned from a 10 day tour of Big Bend National Park in Southwest Texas. I found the people there universally friendly, willing to stop on the road and offer help, and didn't feel like I was viewed as homeless (crazy, maybe).

However, on Wednesday afternoon (2 days ago as I write this), on my way back home, I took the bus from Alpine, TX to Midland, TX. Eric, a real Road Angel and my couchsurfer host, picked me up at the bus stop on his way to play soccer. He dropped me off at a Denny's for dinner and while studying the menu for anything vegetarian I could eat, a guy walk up to me and asked if I could find something. I said I was trying, he handed me a $5 bill and said to eat a good meal.

I thanked him, gave him back the bill, and asked if I looked that bad? He said the backpack made it look like I was on the road and might need some help.

Note that I wasn't in biking clothes nor did I have my bike with me. But, I had just finished 10 days of bike riding in the Chihuahuan Desert and a 3 hour bus ride, was wearing clothes I'd been in for 2 weeks, and it was 10pm in a Denny's in the used car lot section of Midland, TX. I guess I wasn't putting my best appearance forward!

And, to think I'd shaved that morning!

In my experience, some people will view a bicycle tourist as an inspiration, crazy, homeless, a threat, or a real treat. There is no way to know, up front, what kind of attitude will come your way. Best to smile, be upbeat, act friendly, and always say thank you to any offered assistance. There are lots of very nice people out there willing to help someone, homeless or otherwise.

For me, it is the people I meet and the things they say that often make the most memorable stories!