View Single Post
Old 05-04-13, 08:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Wife and Son's First Ride

While I was doing today's 100 miler my wife and son participated in the 20 mile route. It was my wife's first bike ride since her hip replacement in October. She had not ridden in at least a couple years prior to that. She told my son she would ride if he would ride with her.

It was also my son's first ride on a "road bike". I took my Trek 5900 which is two sizes too large for him and dropped the seat as low as it would go. I also swapped the stem for a much shorter stem and installed platform pedals. This bike has the 50/34 crank and 11/32 cassette so he had some really easy gears for the hills. He said he really enjoyed riding the bike and found the hills very manageable.

I also loaned him some cycling garments that were a size or so too large but they seemed to work okay for today----the beauty of spandex. I doubt he'll be a regular rider but but at least he had a favorable ride even though it was too cool and VERY windy.