Old 05-04-13, 08:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Extended tourers - Do you concern yourself about your future?

Reading some of the comments in the "homeless" thread, made me think about the people that do more extended tours. I am curious if people that do more extended tours are concerned about their future? Along with some other questions.

I can see if you are young and plan on spending a few years seeing the world then head off and start your career but there are some folks that are a bit older. ar you not worried about having money in your old age? I am an older male with not family or real ties. If I sold everything and lived very simply on tour I would have plenty of money to last several years but I worry about what to do about providing for myself later in life.

Also don't you get bored on tour? I have other interests at home that I could not participate on an extended tour. First there are my friends. We all go sailing together from time to time. I enjoy dabbling with electronic design and building projects and designing various software applications that might get my interest. I doubt I would be able to participate in many of these on tour.

Then there is the comfort of my nice, warm and dry home. If I wanted to do an extended tour, the only way I could afford to do it is to camp most of the time which I imagine is true for most extended tourers.

Any thoughts on these items?