In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
It seems to me there are two possibilities:

1) Like someone such as Nolan Ryan, you are a genetic freak (in a good way ). There are some persons who age remarkably well and remain remarkably vital and healthy well later in life. If you are such a person, congrats.

2) You're highly delusional. No matter how well you take care of yourself, for most of us, physical ability declines steadily after our mid-30s. This isn't to say we can't remain healthy as we age, only that we can't do the same things in our 60s that we could in our 30s.

I'm 42, and now take far better care of myself than when I was 25. I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and usually get adaquate sleep. That said, physically I am not the same person I was at age 25: I don't have the energy, stamina, motivation, or ambition I did back then.

As I said, some people age remarkably well, but for most of us, our verve gradually declines as we age.
First of all, you're speaking from the perspective of someone who is only 42. There was a time when I was in my teens and early 20s that I figured I had to do everything I wanted to do by the time I was 40, because once I hit 40 I wouldn't have the energy to do anything anymore. Of course, as I got older, I pushed that limit out further and further. Now I'm watching my parents who are in their 70s and seeing how active they still are (both are still out cycling), and I'm thinking that maybe 80 or 90 or 100 is the new limit.

Second, physical ability does not necessarily steadily decline after our mid-30s. There are many people who are stronger and healthier as they get older than they were in their mid-30s ... especially if they keep up the physical activity.

I think the reason that some people decline after their mid-30s is because they let "life" take over ... long hours at work, often sitting in front of a computer, shuttling the kids around, etc. etc., and they don't take the time to keep themselves strong and healthy.

Really, 60 isn't that old anymore ... not unless you let it be.

Last edited by Machka; 05-06-13 at 09:03 PM.