jdfriesen

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I actually joined Bike Forums a couple of years ago, but never posted until this month. I was considering getting a bike for commuting and exercise, but never pulled the trigger until recently. I'm 6'3" 240#, so I've definitely got a bit of weight to drop. Up until now, exercise primarily consisted of running and hiking, with strength workouts thrown in from time to time. I'm down from a peak of 265# about a year ago. I would love to get into the 190s again. That will definitely leave me very lean, as I have a wide frame. When I was 22 I was at about 205#, and there wasn't much fat on me anywhere, however, I wasn't ripped. I'd love to actually see my abs again!

Last week I got a 2012 Ridley Excalibur. Took it out for its maiden voyage on Saturday, and absolutely loved it! On flats I could get it up to about 30MPH, which was pretty darn fun! I did notice however, that cycling definitely utilizes muscles differently than running and hiking. My quads (and butt) were a bit sore. I did a hilly 5 mile route that first day (I live close to the top of a hill, so pretty much any route I do will have at least some hills). On Sunday, I was feeling a bit sore still, so I just did a 2.4 mile route. I took yesterday off, but am going to do the 5 mile route again tonight after work.

I want to work my way up to doing 9 miles comfortably, as that's my distance to work. Once I get off the hill I live on, the commute is relatively flat, only a few small hills. Here's the bike:

I know, I took the picture from the wrong side, and the cranks aren't at the right spot, and the valves aren't at 6 o'clock, but it's the only picture I've got right now.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I've learned a lot from this group already just by lurking the last couple of years, and look forward to learning much more, and hopefully being able to intelligently contribute!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130504_160101.jpg (95.7 KB, 21 views)