Old 05-07-13, 10:52 PM
byrd48

Bikes: Dave Kirk Custom, Clockwork Bikes Custom, Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack. Miyata Three Ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,
I apologize for being so late to respond to your post, I don't have notifications enabled on the forum and did not realize anyone had responded.
Our route is pretty much fixed, as closely as I could make it to what their original route was, considering the new highways that have been built since. Basically it's a straight shot from Y-town to Darlington on the secondary roads, then connect to the river at New Brighton down to Monaca. You mention the strech from Monaca to Coroapolis is busy, but I see on Google Maps a bike path (planned) that runs most of that stretch, do you know if it is open yet? My Grandad's original route was on the other side of the river on Ohio River Blvd, but it appears to be a 4 lane now and not very suitable for biking. Our destination is Bellevue - Grant St. This was the home of the family friends that my grandfather and great-uncle visited on their trip. From looking at the map, if we rented from a downtown Pitt bike shop, we could make our trip, then continue on to return the bikes and catch a cab to the airport, however it's looking like we will be doing this on a Sunday on Labor Day weekend, so I'm not sure if the bike shop will be open to return the bikes.
Thank you so much for your generous offer. I will also follow up with Craig.

Thanks again!
Jon