Old 05-08-13, 01:56 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
As above we all vary in our touring styles. Personally I find after about five days in a row I'm about ready for a rest day. So, based on your options I would go for the 4 day tour, then the photo shoot - except I know nothing about photography :/ Oh btw, this being your first tour, you'll probably get the bug, so it won't be the last!
Originally Posted by bradtx
Ozonation, My reply in the second post actually is for a test tour prior to the Great Lakes tour, just to test your day to day riding. As for the Great Lakes tour, the four day ride and photo shoot is what I'd do. Brad
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Four days and photo shoot. Cake and eat it to. After four days, you'll be hooked or you won't. I bet if you decide to extend the ride, they'll take your money and find you a bed.
I'm leaning towards the above: it seems to be the most logical. Four days is probably plenty, especially given that this is my first, real attempt at any sort of touring. And I'm also cognizant of...

Originally Posted by bikenh
Here's a much simpler way to look at it. If you ride 50-60 miles a day for 7 days it would only take you 10 hours per day to cover that distance while only riding 5-6 miles per hour. Do you think you can go that fast? I'll give you a hint. If you can't go that fast than you better stay off the bike. Much below 4 mph and most people can't stay upright on a bike...they fall over. I would change my attitude if this was going to be a self supported trip but since this is a trip where you pretty much don't have to take much of anything with you I have a pretty stiff/mean attitude.
I'm confident I can hold up for multiple days. I'm not triathlete, but I bike when I can, run (often in high heat and humidity), and do resistance training. However, biking is a specific motion/skill, and I can myself getting sore! I suspect my issue is that I will start out too fast, and overexert myself when it's not needed.

Originally Posted by bikenh
I would say go for the 7 days and have fun.... If you don't like it then drop out. You make it sound like you can quit pretty much anywhere along the route.

Ask yourself this question...could work be more fun then going out and enjoying doing something I've never did before?Get out there and have fun...do some sight seeing...get away from the office...live life a little for a switch and like I've said a couple of times now...go have some fun.
The photography event I mentioned is actually not work: I volunteer and shoot a variety of sports, etc., and enjoy it thoroughly. However, I've photographed a lot of sports (ranging from national college championships to Olympic qualifers), but I have yet to go on a bike tour... the photography might lead to some other opportunities.

To answer an earlier question, no, I have to make a decision now. I suspect I can sign up for four days, and if I change my mind prior to the tour, I suppose I could add on more. I'm not sure when the cut off date is.

The other alternative is to sign up for the whole tour, and if I find myself flagging (because of the distance) or if the photography is just "too good" to pass up, I can exit the tour. I'd lose several hundred dollars. What the heck.. it's only money, right?