Old 05-09-13, 09:52 AM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help picking a frame for velodrome use

I am looking to get a new track bike to start racing at Alkek in Houston. I would like to keep it under $1600, and I plan on buying or starting to buy in the next 7-10 days.

I am a 6’ tall, 145lb(+/- 3lb), roadie, and I will remain primarily a roadie. I don’t expect to gain a lot of weight any time soon, so I don’t see myself needing an ultra stiff(expensive) frame.

I haven’t decided if I will be buying a complete or building one up(though I like the idea of getting a frame and building it up with deals I find on ebay).

Complete Bikes: I am looking at the Felt TK2 and Specialized Langster Pro(matte black looks so good). There are shops that carry these in my size nearby. After taxes both of these are pushing my budget though.

I saw that Velomine is selling built up Cinelli Vigorellis with what seem to be decent parts.
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...vp95rdtfa1utm5 Would this build be a suitable track machine? I’m not sure how great the wheels and cranks are.

Building up a frame:I have a good idea of what components I want if I decide to build up a bike. I also have pedals, stem, bars(compact road bars), and saddle that I can use while hunting for deals on better parts or parts to dial in fit. I really need help picking a good frame though.

What I’ve been looking at in no particular order-
Bianchi Pista Concept/Super Pista (ebay)
Specialized Langster Pro $660
Dolan Track Champion $575
2013 Masi Coltello $700
Affinity Kissena $750
Cinelli Vigorelli $700-800

Could you provide some input into which of these would be the best bet for track racing? Or is this a case of “they will all be good enough for little old me, and I should pick the one that I like most/get the best deal on?”

Thanks