Old 05-09-13, 06:17 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wombat94

From a stamina/workout perspective, I can feel the difference in working out some different muscles in calves and thighs, but I think I'll be able to handle longer rides from a cardio standpoint with no problem... I'll probably have to worry more about overdoing it on the muscles because he endurance is already there.
Exactly! Mrs. Fred has just recently transitioned from cycling to taking up running and has dragged me along for the fun of it. We both have to be careful about not using our cycling developed cardio endurance to destroy our, as yet untrained or unconditioned, running muscles. It's pretty easy for us to go out, over cook it a bit, and come back injured.

The rule of thumb is to only increase your distance/intensity by no more than 10% per week. That can be hard to subscribe to early on when you're starting from quite low numbers. But, the additional mileage adds up quickly.