Old 05-11-13, 12:17 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Oh, dear! Just took a look at our Topos, which have about 2500 miles on them. I'm not sure, even with a magnifying glass, if I have very small hairline cracks in the front rim. It's very difficult to tell, because the edge of the decal also looks like a crack, but isn't. Rear wheel looks fine. Both hubs look good. Mark, you've made me nervous, so I think I'll stick with Spinergys for GTR.
I just took a careful look at our rear Topolino, it has approximately 5,000 miles on it. It did go back to Topolino about 1,000 miles ago to have the RH side spokes replaced. At that time it was checked out and rebuilt. There are no cracks and it is straight and true. I do have the later model using the Tru black spokes. That might make a difference.

I think it is a good idea to have at least one set of spare wheels on hand for a tandem. We currently have 4 front wheels and 3 rear wheels and will probably keep all of them. If you fail a tandem wheel you are for the most part screwed until you get it rebuilt or replaced.

I forget exactly what it cost to have the wheel rebuilt but if I remember correctly itmwasmclose to $250. If I was at home I would know but we are in Tulsa.

Wayne