Old 05-11-13, 02:38 PM
KenColton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride, and a little concerned about injuring the family jewels

I'm 5'9 and weigh in about 300lbs. I haven't ridden a bicycle since about 1987 when I weighed about 175.

Last week, after visiting a few bike shops and trying out a few bikes, I bought an Electra Townie. I would have preferred to go right to a hybrid, but the ones I tried did not fit my gut very well. And having not ridden a bike in over twenty years, I really liked being able to just put my feet right on the ground when I needed to slow down or balance. If I lose 50-75lbs this year, I may buy a hybrid or road bike next year.

So this morning I took it out for a brief ride of about 15-20 minutes (enough to start getting used to riding a bike again). However more often than I am comfortable with, I felt my nuts grinding together. Not frequently, but a few times that is giving me the heeby-jeebys that I'm going to sit or move wrong, or ride over a bump, and get (painfully) injured.

I really don't remember this being much of an issue when I used to ride when I was a kid, or maybe I ignored it. When I bought the bike, the dealer put the seat at an angle so I fit a little better into it. It may also be a factor of my weight (considering my thighs are a lot larger now than when I was 17).

So I'm wondering if there's any suggestions others have found to help resolve this (clothing, saddle angle, saddle design, height, etc). Or is this something that is common and I just forgot about from when I was younger.