View Single Post
Old 05-11-13, 06:47 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I always enjoy reading about the guy using a ( lower powered ) torch who is pleased with his light. Sometimes I still use torches myself ( although mine are all XM-L based torches and are nearly as bright as my dedicated bike lights ) I figure they already know there are better lights so I pretty much leave them alone unless they say they want something better. A light that emits 150 lumen can be very useful as long as you aren't into the faster speeds. The only real issue is run time; a lamp that uses 3-AAA's is not going to have great run time.

At least it's nice to know that when someone wants to upgrade, for another $20 they can up their output into the 1000 lumen range with one of the newer double XM-L Chinese made lamps...and at the same time get longer run times ( which is sometimes the more important issue ).

Originally Posted by bwgride
...If you wish to stay with AA or AAA batteries, Nitecore also makes powerful, small AA light, the EA4. It takes 4 AA batteries and has excellent specifications. It is less than 5" long and about 2" wide. It can produce about 550 lumens for 2 hours and 300 lumens for more than 4 hours. Another excellent bicycle light. It can be bought for about $55.

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=72
That is a real nice torch that uses AA's. The user interface on the EA4 looks first rate. Looks like a nice build as well and looks very water resistant. If you are into "self-contained" lamps one of these would work real good. On the other hand for the same price you can buy a very nice Solarstorm X2 bike lamp and rechargeable battery.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 05-11-13 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added comment and additional quote