Old 05-12-13, 10:44 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki

I see a "biker's paradise" as a road user's paradise where everyone thinks about the need for awareness and partnership with all other road users. How do we get there?
We're already closer to it than we think. The vast majority (very vast majority) are reasonably careful, and courteous to cyclists in many areas. We tend to notice the few that aren't but have no reason to register all that are because there's nothing to note. It's like dogs, most don't bite, but the news reports that that do, especially if they're pit bulls, creating a distorted view of the world.

There are positive things that can be done. Pavement markings and signage reminding drivers to share the road, PSA's putting cyclists in a better light than just something to steer around -- we lower everybody's health care costs, the fuel we don't buy lowers oil imports, keeps fuel costs lower, and contribute to the nations economic health, cyclists reduce traffic crowding on roads. These are things that actually make things better for those who prefer driving.

Also some PSA's discussing how and when to safely pass a cyclist, and when it's better for all to wait a bit for a better opportunity.

Lastly, new road design standards, providing more room on shared lanes, and where it makes sense things like eliminating parking on one side of the road. Also better enforcement of things that help everybody, like double parking rules, providing curbside loading loading zones so trucks wouldn't have to double park.

But all in all, I don't consider myself at odds with motorists, and feel I have more common interest with them than not. We all need good, well maintained roads to promote transit and commerce. Is that so hard?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.