Old 05-16-13, 09:18 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Given the statistics cited it seems odd that the two incentives- ticketing cyclists and mandating helmets is the response. Only 12% of the accidents were due to bicyclists running lights. Not that it's not worth it to put some effort into cutting back on those but what about the other 88% of the causes. The larger share of which seem to have to do with motorist error.

And that "didn't see the cyclist" accounted for so many of the accidents. Uh, how about stricter enforcement of distracted drivers? If there's anything I'd like to see cyclists cited for its riding without lights at night. However, bleeding heart liberal that I am I think that any fines accrued should be used to hand out free lights to those stopped at night without them- in other words, you just bought yourself a light, now use it! NO excuses! And I am NOT in favor of an MHL but a free or reduced cost helmet distribution program would be acceptable IMO.

And how about ticketing drivers that buzz too close to cyclists or right hook- and almost should count. Or opening door on a cyclist, whether an accident occurs or not, should be punishable, if a cop sees it.

For those who think the bike lanes increase a risk of doorings I'd love to see the statistics that support that assumption- especially as it relates to Boston. I've ridden there since 1980 and doorings have always been the number one danger on Mass Ave and Comm Ave long before a bike lane was even imagined on those roads. If anything, doorings on Comm Ave have dropped since the advent of bike lanes on that road.

Last edited by buzzman; 05-16-13 at 09:26 AM.