Old 05-16-13, 02:07 PM
Lsudreamer

Bikes: Del Sol LXi 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Rack Help and Kid Seat vs Trailer (for two)

Two questions from a new cyclist: I just bought my first bike... a Del Sol LXi 7.1 and am looking for some input on a couple of things.

1) I am searching for a bike rack of some sort. I have a Toyota Rav4 (2009) with the covered spare tire on the back. It does have the roof rack bars that run front to rear. It is only a 4 cylinder so we do not have a hitch of any type on the back either. I need a rack that will hold at least one bike (adult) and a kid bike. If I can find one that will hold 3 bikes, even better. (I am trying to convince my husband to get a new bike now too!) Ideally it will need to make road trips (300 miles +) to grandma's house etc.

2) A friend is giving me her child seat to attach to the back of my bike. I am not sure if it will fit and I am not sure how comfortable I am with a 30lber riding on the back either. I was looking at trailers to pull behind the bike but have no idea what brands would work best and last etc. I have a 4 yr old (36 lbs) and a 1 yr old (30 lbs) ... I would like to be able to pull both of them on long rides but also be able to pull just the little one when big brother is on his own bike. It does not need to double as a stroller... I already have a double jogging stroller that we use regularly as well.

I did hit the local bike shop to see what they offer. I have found Yakima bike racks for 30% off at Sun&Ski Sports (clearance since they will no longer carry that brand once they sell out). I also have seen some cheaper racks at big box stores but not sure how well they hold up for long distances etc.

Thoughts? Advice?