Old 05-17-13, 06:41 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The same doomsayers castigate painted lines that serve the purpose, if nothing else, to deter some motorists from riding too close to the zone where cyclists WILL be riding, despite what some A&S experts think is best for them.
I never cared about painted bike lanes, until my city painted a few. While I find the painted lines could be a danger to novice cyclists who think they are somehow "safe" inside those lines, for me, I begrudgingly admit, on some roads, the lines help because motorists automatically center their vehicles between things. Before the painted lines cars and trucks "auto-centered" themselves between the left curb and the parked cars on their right. This behavior almost certainly forced cyclists to ride too close to the parked cars. Now with the painted bike lane, motorists center themselves farther to the left which gives a savvy bike-lane user juuuust enough space to NOT get doored if they ride far left in the bike lane. In just a short time our motorists (no smarter than any other city for sure) have respected the new lines, some in parked cars now "realize" bikes just might be using that space and are less likely to throw a door open in my face (I actually SEE them looking for me). Right hooks are still a problem but I also find SOME motorists more alert when crossing the bike lane while turning right. I used to get 100% hooked (every opportunity) before the lane and now it seems like 50% - or at least much less.

So I have to admit that for a skilled, savvy, experienced cyclist some bike lanes can increase cyclist safety if used correctly with all the due caution of riding on the roadway.