View Single Post
Old 05-19-13, 06:47 AM
Oldoarsman

Bikes: 2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys....I realize that it could be a lot worse, and I am optimistic for a quick return to riding and lifting. I had hoped to complete my first century this summer, but the surgery date had to be moved up...so now I'll look to the fall...weather is more comfortable in central Virginia at that time of year anyway!...and having a goal like that should keep me motivated during recovery.

With the past few year's procedures behind me, I feel as though I have a better understanding of my body and how to take better care of it going forward. My lovely, perennially young (29 and holding for the last 23 years) and optimistic wife (and also a former oarswoman) agrees....heart health and endurance muscles will carry us better into the future than heavy lifting and wind sprints. My primary goals are to continue to increase my cardio capacity, stay active, return to riding and my gym workouts, and most important of all...maintain and build on the strength I need to take care of our soon to be nineteen year old son with CP.

At the moment, we have help in carrying him between his bed and wheelchair and in helping with his daily needs. Part of my frustration with being laid up is my lack of ability to help until I can actually pick Jonathan up again to be able to take care of him.....for the moment, I can still help with his feeding pump and medications...just not the heavier lifting portion.

Also, it's a great time of the year to kick back and watch the Giro and the Tour of California (109 degrees...how do they do it?)!

Thank you for your words of wisdom and support....onward and upward!