Old 05-19-13, 10:38 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I not really sure a "truce" is what is exactly called for here. After all, if it is or ever was strict VC vs Bike lanes, VC has clearly lost. The momentum towards infrastructure is undeniable and the effectiveness of the added infrastructure in terms of increasing the numbers of people cycling and their relative safety is undeniable as well.

What seems to have emerged from the aftermath of the struggling between cyclists who were pro and con infrastructure is a new breed of "infrastructure contrarians". This new breed tends to inhabit areas with a high cyclist ratio, a fairly well established bike infrastructure and a thriving bike culture. And while those us who may not be blessed with such biking bounty would be happy with an occasional stripe of white paint or some sign that bikes belong these contrarians are disatisfied with the imperfections of what to the rest of the country would be a superior situation for cycling.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue with critiques of bike infrastructure that may lead to improvements but it is the whining pitch of the infrastructure contrarians. I agree with ILTB about the hysterical rhetoric and hyperbole that seems to surround every issue. The constant labeling and cries of "Copenhagenistas!" is exhausting and shuts down dialogue.

And frankly so much of it sounds like the trendy, hipster Starbucks crowd who throw a hissy fit when their latte isn't just so in world where half the human population would be happy with a clean drink of water once in a while.