Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
Suppose somebody invented a bicycle component that:

*Makes cycling much less intimidating for neophytes
*Enhances safety by reducing likelihood of falling
*For all but the most skilled riders, enhances take-off speed from red lights and stop signs
*Saves you money
*Makes it easier to walk around during cycling rest breaks
*Allows you better fitting footwear if your feet have unusual proportions
*Allows you to make subtle adjustments on the fly to combat fatigue or leg/foot cramps.
*Only downside is a slight (how much is debated) loss of efficiency and speed, so not good for all-out racing

This miraculous invention is called the "platform pedal."

Don in Austin
I completely agree that people can choose to not clip in and have a wonderful time cycling. I personally recommend at least half-clips as they make a big difference in making sure your foot doesn't fly off of the pedal. I wouldn't push anybody who doesn't want to clip in to do so (at least for DF bikes).

I've fallen over three times once I started to clip in, only once was because I was clipped in (and even in that case, I was trying to not clip in and, well, screwed it up).

I personally find it much more comfortable to be clipped in (I ride a recumbent where there is a large difference, but I think I'd prefer it on DF bikes as well). And I find it much easier to spin when clipped in than with toe clips, which is easier than straight platform pedals. And while I don't do it very often, there are occasions where I will pull on the pedals and I find it very useful there as well.

I don't think it is at all obvious that platforms without clips are safer than clipping in. Having your foot fall off of the pedal at the wrong time can be disastrous. If you have platforms with pins, you'll have a lot less float than clipless pedals and this can cause some people issues with their knees. And most mountain bike clipless systems are quite easy to use when walking around (I can even chase after my kids at the park just fine).

As far as

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Clipless on the street is for wanna be racers and the masochist.
Well, I think that goes to show more about the character of the poster than anything else.