View Single Post
Old 05-21-13, 08:08 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgson
I just recently got my first bike, and now I want to put together an emergency kit before I go on any long rides. What do you guys generally carry with you? I obviously want to carry as little as possible, but I also want to be prepared. Here's what I've come up with so far:

pump (strapped to downtube)
multi tool (possibly this + additional tire levers)
2 spare tubes
patch kit
(cell phone, ID, etc.)
in this (small?) saddle bag
What am I missing, or where could I do better?
There are a couple of other brands of seat bags that have a bit more room in them, but I have some of the same as yours in use without issue. I carry only 1 spare tube and do carry an air head and two nitrogen catridges. I still carry a mini-pump on the back of the seatube up near the top (under the seat stays). I don't carry tire irons anymore, choosing instead to run tires I can change natively.

I put the IDs, wallet, and cell up front in a mini-saddler as in here; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This saddle bag is really cheap, but well made and a Samsung Note 2 Fablet (really awesome and thin but rather large screened) fits nicely in one of the side bags. For those chronically needing to be connected, a 6,000 mAmp hr backup battery ($15 delivered from 1-Sale-a-Day site fits nicely in the other side, etc. That second side could also be reserved for a few granola bars and a few days of any critical perscriptions, etc.

/K