View Single Post
Old 05-23-13, 08:36 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marq96
I grew up in Sturgeon Bay, and live a little further south now in Kewaunee. Regarding the Door Century ride: there are shorter route options available. I plan on riding one of them, probably either the 50 or 70 depending on what condition and miles I've accumulated. If you're interested, maybe we could meet up for the ride? Shoot me a PM.

Door County is pretty bike friendly. Sturgeon Bay has been adding bike lanes all through town and was just recognized by some biking group as a "bike-friendly" town. As mentioned, the towns are on shore and there are climbs out of most of them. All through the center of the county it's pretty flat. A lot of locals ride in the center because they aren't interested in seeing the sights and the traffic is a lot less. Next month is the "Ride for Nature" tour, they also do anything from 15-100 mile rides. If you look them up you can see some of the routes as a base for some ideas www.ridefornature.com Also you might want to check with the Door County Silent Sports Alliance for some ideas. www.doorcountysilentsports.org

I am actually excited about some hills early morning, we don't have many around Chicago that are worth much. And thanks for the links I will have to check them out.

As for the ride, my wife wants to get an early start on the day to stop at a few places on the way back to Chicago, so no ride for me this time. Possibly next year, we will see.