Thread: The bad news
View Single Post
Old 05-27-13, 10:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The bad news

Splattering Mrs. Grouch with mud wasn't the worst thing that happened to us Saturday.

Shortly after the photo was taken I was having some difficulty and eventually felt a slight pain (1 on a 10 scale), about the size of my fist, right under my breast bone. We stopped and rested and some folks gave me a low dose aspirin that seemed to help. I managed to ride another 7 or 8 miles to Rocheport where we begged a ride back to Columbia to retrieve our car. I'm still coming to grips with the incident. I want to change doctors so now I have to find a new doctor who will see me this week. I have 2 months of vacation after tomorrow that I don't want to waste but Mrs. Grouch won't let me ride by myself until I get cleared by the doctor. I hate it when she's right.

As an interesting aside, the stranger who drove me back to Columbia wouldn't accept anything in exchange for the favor. Not even gas money. Since she operates a wine tasteing restaurant I suggested to my wife that we pay to have my sister-in-law, who operates a winery, send her a couple of bottles. The sister-in-law is all for sending the wine, but she won't accept any money either. Sometimes repaying a favor is hard to do.

We'll see how it goes. We have planned a bicycling vacation in Door County, Wisconsin for later this month. Unless something comes up we're still planning to go, but will probably limit our bicycling to short rides.