Old 05-29-13, 06:37 AM
fatguy_ona_bike

Bikes: '13 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgpg_99
I have a bar extender under the handlebars, so there is plenty of space and my handlebars would remain free. There are several reasons for two devices: a backup system, different mount locations, a GPS with voice directions that can even go into your pocker with a BlueTooth earbug, and also the fact that if I already have a good bicycle computer, why would I pay another $300 to have the same functions plus GPS navigation.

I was thinking that a GPS that can also be used for trekking, for a motorcycle, and even for your car, would be a better choice in my situation.

Regarding the screen size, I prefer large font and a large screen. For instance, the Garming 800 has a 2.6" screen, which is barely enough for me. On a couple of trips I took an iPad and used Google Maps with it, and that was extremely effective screen size-wise (not so much weight-wise).

Have you considered selling off the current computer to fund the GPS based unit? Just a thought. I've also been kicking around the idea of a second device, only so I can remove the GPS unit when I don't need it and I still have my $30 basic computer for all the core info I like to see. No need to have a GPS commuting.

So, I have to ask, do you have a picture of your iPad mounted to your bike. I MUST see this.