Old 09-12-05, 12:40 AM
tokolosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lone Prairie
ham 'n jam sandwich
in the same sandwich? you're tougher than i'll ever be.

i really appreciate the advice on this thread. for the first hour or so after getting off my bike last week i felt like i could push down a mountain, and i was so cheerful i disgusted even myself. then some kind of physiological evil magic happened and within another hour i'd be a kind of shambling, snarling, drooling pumpkin. six-inch greenish fangs and hair on the palms of my hands kind of thing.

i'd like to:

a) get stronger so i can enjoy the bike more,
b) i'd also be pleased to lose some weight.
c) keep the job so i can buy more blinky lights and cool stuff for my bike.

so i'm trying to educate myself about the way to juggle all three. i do find that bagels, fruit, etc through the day have been almost a necessity in order to keep me civilized and leave me able to make it back home, but perhaps i should be going for more protein? this whole glycogen-versus-other-stuff thing is a bit over my head.

the only advice i have to go on so far came from asking a sports-nutrition guy about my son, who's doing some fairly intense extra sports training which calls on strength it's pretty clear he doesn't have yet. when i looked into ways of supporting this and helping him get stronger faster so he get more out of the sessions, i was told it would be good to have him get a good hit of protein at bedtime on workout days, so he can repair more efficiently while he's asleep. i was thinking this might also apply to the stuff i'm doing. i'm interested in anyone's thoughts or experience. i bought a giant jar of that whey protein stuff, and heck, someone's got to choke it down now.