Old 05-30-13, 05:44 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Colorado Traffic Code:

704. Vehicle entering roadway.
(I included 704 because it is referenced by 710)

The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a roadway from any place other than another roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway to be entered or crossed. Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

710. Emerging from or entering alley, driveway, or building.

1) The driver of a vehicle emerging from an alley, driveway, building, parking lot, or other place, immediately prior to driving onto a sidewalk or into the sidewalk area extending across any such alleyway, driveway, or entranceway, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian upon or about to enter such sidewalk or sidewalk area extending across such alleyway, driveway, or entranceway, as may be necessary to avoid collision, and when entering the roadway shall comply with the provisions of section 704.

(2) The driver of a vehicle entering an alley, driveway, or entranceway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian within or about to enter the sidewalk or sidewalk area extending across such alleyway, driveway, or entranceway.

(3) No person shall drive any vehicle other than a bicycle, electric assisted bicycle, or any other human-powered vehicle upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area, except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.

(4) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

*** Note that 710(3) seems to *imply* "pedestrian" includes cyclists using the sidewalk. ***
*** As an example, here is another part of the code where "pedestrian" *clearly* includes cyclists: ***

802. Pedestrians’ right-of-way in crosswalks.
(3) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and ride a bicycle, ride an electrical assisted bicycle, walk, or run into the path of a moving vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.

Ref: http://www.coloradodot.info/business...affic_Code.pdf
I think that is to allow for cyclist under a certain age, I could be wrong here, however.

It is interesting, it does state the cyclist shall not leave a curb or place of safety (Sidewalk), that would constitute an immediate hazard. I suppose this would cover barreling across a driveway as well, without caution.