Old 05-30-13, 12:34 PM
RSWingman

Bikes: Genesis Sabre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
BTW re the dog... next time you come across that dog or any other... stop the bike! Turn towards the dog (with the bike inbetween) and yell 'STOP! BAD DOG!!!!' really loud. Just keep yelling. The dog will know what it's doing is wrong and turn tail. He probably will leave you alone the next time. I lived out it the country many years and was routinely "attacked" by farm dogs... never got bit. Was never afraid. Never felt the need to carry pepper spray etc.
That dog is loco, man! Yellow Lab, passive as hell... unless something sets her off. My best guess is that it was the checkered flannel coat I was wearing on both cold days. And the worst part is that her owners don't know or want to believe that side of her. I've had animal control on it twice and they still let it roam free, unobserved.

I've read online, to tell the dog to "go home" and to keep your side to them so as not to be threatening or running... nothing about stopping though. Upon the second attack, I'd already been bitten once and she came fast. I told her in escalating tone (in what time I had) to "stay home/go home". She won't listen and she's a mace-case waiting to happen... right next to a county park, on a designated bike-path no less. It was all I could do, to kick her off of me as she kept trying to pace me for the bite and I thought she would never stop. THAT is when I bought the pepper spray... should have the first time.

I've actually avoided her when the confrontation was foreseeable, figuring the extra half-mile wasn't worth it. But last time, I went by and she was in her usual laying spot. But when I turned around & came back, she had wandered 100 yards from the edge of their driveway. I won't be cut-off from home. I was at DEFCON-5 with the mace... went right by her, she didn't move at me.

I rode for a couple years and never felt threatened by a dog neither. There's one that only wants to prance alongside me and I would always give a friendly hello. When the owner is around and wants to teach it to "stay" and don't chase, I don't interfere. But this Yellow Lab changed everything.

For no reason... THROUGH my jeans. And once bitten, you will never feel completely secure again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_7872_640.jpg (38.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RSWingman; 05-30-13 at 01:55 PM.