Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The difference is not hubs, spokes or necessarily build. It is, as already mentioned, all about the heat behavior of the rims. Nick, I suspect (just an observation, no offense intended) you still think that there is some magic in wheel building. I assure you many folks do as well at home as Zipp on the build and there is no reason why a Chinese factory can't asssemble wheels as well as possible. And good hubs and spokes are readily available. But the rub is in the rims.
You know...sure, I have some skin in the game, but there is some very specific "magic" in building. It's not anything that isn't written down in the books or on blogs, etc about how to build wheels, but it IS about how certain steps are done. Those who build every day know what I am talking about. It's enough of a "thing" this "magic" that it's the first thing I was grilled on when a pro racer I sponsor finally met me a couple of weekends ago. She asked about it instantly because it turns out she's worked at Easton for a great number of years as head of their quality and warranty/returns (left last year), and after riding my wheels....she just couldn't figure out how I did it.

I've known it from day 1 and it's something that I have never revealed even in PM's here or in emails.

So can anyone build a wheel? Yes. Great wheels consistently? Nope. Turns out there is magic to that. Just like any other business that makes a lot of anything at a great level consistently.