MattFoley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSWingman
By all means, thanks for all the input.
I'd just like to share a little lament - maybe find some commiseration:

I've been becoming frustrated with the amount of money & gear I've been pouring into my riding, and all the extra steps that have been steadily getting added to my riding checklist and I fear of my hobby becoming too much of a chore.
Gotta have the pepper spray & holster ($15ish) for the dog that attacked me twice & bit me once,
I now have my ergo-handlegrips ($8) to complement the strategically padded half-finger gloves ($25) for my ulnar nerve.
Also have a pair of "windshell" gloves ($30) for the colder days.
I bought a $35 pair of riding shoes (who can pass that up?). I like them actually, but...
I had to buy a $25 pair of studded pedals that would interface decently with them.
There are the road tires that I gladly swapped in for the knobbies and have had since last year - $50 and over 1000 miles on them.
I got a new bottle, as the original had a crack,
And then yes, there is the fat memory-foam seat ($24), on which I just end up using the front portion. I certainly don't want to pay what the bike-shop is gonna want. If I replace it, it'll have to be something available at Wal-mart. Prefer with a cutout.
And if a seat don't solve my problems, then I'll have to buy some more stuff to deal with that. And yes, that's what I came here asking about. But ya feel me?

This all started with just wanting to get on my bike & go and all I wanna do is simplify. What happened, man? I've got goals this year: Came from 125 (130 last year), 195ish now, wanna make 150ish by year's end.

Yep, sports can be expensive. Even casual running, it's $120 for good shoes, $30 for proper shorts, $20 for a utility belt thingy, etc...But then what does a gym cost? ~$30 a month? plus, if you drive there, you have to factor that in. Just remember, the more you ride, the better investment all the gear becomes, and most of it will last YEARS, so you pay it all upfront, with minor maintenance/replacement costs spread over time. Start bike commuting, and oh man, the savings really start to add up, even with all the gear purchases!