View Single Post
Old 06-02-13, 10:45 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I dodged the bullet last night.
As I've been trying to find parts for this build, I've been reflecting on your comments, and I have to admit if I could do it over I should have left the frame in the bike shop!

I've discovered that the Kona H-O-N-K-Y Inc frame is kind of an anomoly. It has true road geometry and is not particularly suitable to be built up as a cross bike. The rear stays have a 130 spacing and the chain stay length is "just" long enough to use 28c tires, although I can fit a 32 if I inflate the tire after the wheel is on the frame. Finding a Campy hub with 130 spacing was a challenge, athough CK and DT both have options if you can afford them. Finding a 700c carbon fork with a IS disc mount was another challenge.

The next N+1 will have a 135 rear hub spacing, slightly longer rear chainstay, and tapered head tube with integrated headset. This would open up the bike to a whole lot more options in terms of parts availability. All this said, the build is in progress, it will be my "alternate" road bike. I'm looking forward to seeing what the steel ride feels like compared to my Caad's. I'll update again when the bike is complete - hopefully in the next month or two.