genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So how does this work?

When cyclists are killed in car collisions it's the motorist's fault for excess speed, dangerous passing, inattentiveness, etc. But when it's cyclist vs. pedestrian, it's the pedestrian's fault, for not keeping right, walking 2,3,4 abreast, wearing a walkman, being inattentive, etc.

I guess cyclists are never in the wrong.
Frankly I fully disagree... the "overtaker," be it automobile or cyclist, regardless of what is being overtaken, has the responsibility to avoid hitting that which is in front... PERIOD.

This is why for instance that I find it total BS when a motorist says I was "forced" to change lanes... pure and simple BS. The overtaker has the long view and can and must adjust their speed and position for whatever is ahead.

If you are a cyclist on a crowed MUP... it is your responsibility to avoid the peds, no matter how "stupid" they may be. (even if this means stopping and walking your bike) Motorists have the same responsibility... but due to the preponderance of the automobile and our motorist-centric society, far too often, motorists "get away" with some real crap.