View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 10:15 AM
RWBlue01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cagedbird
Is it true that you never forget how to ride a bike?
No not exactly. Start on a slight down hill. (I said "slight" down hill.) If you have access to a large empty parking lot this would be a good place to start riding again. Set yourself up on a middle gear. Remember it is easier to ride/balance a little faster then you should ride than a little slower. Odds are you will have a crash or two before you get really comfortable...then you will have a really good crash because you are not thinking about riding while riding..

Originally Posted by cagedbird
I had been thinking about other ways to add to my exercise regime that sounded fun, and wouldn't you know, I saw the prettiest purple bike at the exit of our local Walmart.

Does anyone have any advice for this lost newbie?
I have mixed feelings about Walmart bikes. I bought a Walmart bike as an adult. I believe I got a $1 a mile out of it before I started having issues. This allowed me to relearn how to bike and get a clue as to what I wanted in a new bike.

At this point, you really can not go to a bike shop and buy the right bike for you because you don't know what the right bike will be. I suggest you get the Walmart bike and understand that you will give it away in 150 miles as you move on to something that fits you better and rides better and if you really get into this cost a LOT more.

As far as other advice...
Floor bicycle pump is essential.
Carry a cell phone because you will get lost or have a break down or the weather....
Carry water, carry more water than you need...riding to the hospital because of dehydration is not as much fun as you would think.
Don't over do it. Build slowly. (I fail at this.)
Don't plan to ride to work or ....l until you have done it with plenty of free time. Remember you have to ride home, so if your max miles a day is 10, don't plan a trip that is 10 miles one way.
Your rear will be sore the first time you ride. Don't go out and buy a new seat right then, get use to it. Then you may decide to buy a new seat.
Do buy bicycle shorts.
Do buy a bicycle jersey.
Do find a rails to trails to ride close to home. This is a great place to NOT ride in traffic.
Don't wear headphones and ride. You can't hear anything going on around you and may get run over. (Once you get some experience, you may find places where this is not true.)
Do watch out for iPod zombies and little kids they will walk out in front of you when you least expect them.
Do enjoy the journey. This is key to bicycling. If you don't enjoy your time on the bike, then I would suggest finding a different hobby/exercise.

IF, I repeat IF, you decide this is not a hobby for you please find someone to donate the bicycle to. I let one sit in a shed for many years it rusted pretty good. I should have given it away when I stopped riding and started driving, but.....high school.