Old 06-03-13, 11:09 AM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rest_assured
I've heard that stem mounted friction shifters can be nasty in an accident, especially for the man-plums. But what is the risk really? Anybody had a bad experience? Who uses stem mounted friction shifters?
Personally I used suntour ratcheting power shifters for ages with no problems, had no serious accidents though.
I still use 'em. The "risk" is all BS: The default position is with both shift levers in the "fully-upright" position (levers perpendicular to the top tube, with smaller/est front chainring, largest rear sprocket), so any lever position in which the levers stick outward (toward the rider) require either larger/est front chainring and/or smallest rear sprocket (with either or both levers parallel to the top tube). The "risk" claim is just a non-starter... bubba-meises (in Yiddish). I've been reading this (and [gasp!] other) forum for a donkey's years, and I've never read about anyone (or anyone's friends/family) having been involved in such an incident... never.

But, if you're worried about those pesky "man-plums" (and it's a real risk, given the presence of a bicycle's top tube), get a mixte.