AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
I don't think anyone questions that $150 for a bike is going to buy you low-end quality. If the OP gets a year out of it as your friend did, Id say its money well spent.

Two of my friends paid over $2,000 for their road bikes and they now sit dormant in the shed just as well as any $150 bike would. I bet if given the option, they'd do a 'redo' and go the $150 route and first make sure the hobby is for them.
+1

This is exactly what I did - pulled my Wal-Mart MTB from college out of the garage and started riding to see if I wanted to make it a routine or if it wouldn't work for me. I started out riding one-way, 9 miles then taking the bus home 3 days a week. Then it was both ways (18 miles total) 3 days a week. Now I do it every day. I put 400 miles on the ole Schwinn and then upgraded to a $500 bike. If that is what you are wanting, to test the waters, then I'd say go for it. Just understand that what you will be riding is on the unreliable, inefficient, and uncomfortable end of the spectrum. If you enjoy it on the Wal-Mart bike, you will enjoy it even more on a nice bike.

FWIW - My Wal-Mart special carried my 250# just fine over some very rough roads. Now, would it have lasted more than a year of that - probably not.

P.S. I did upgrade the saddle (stay away from gel padded, soft seats!) and put on slicks. I kept the saddle for my new bike and put the slicks on my wife's new (used) bike.