Old 06-04-13, 07:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
If you want to use your iPhone, the only option is the Wahoo Fitness bluetooth transmitter (speed and cadence).

While your charged iPhone will last for your short rides, a computer will be easier to mount and occupy less space (note that you'd need to buy a mount for your iPhone). You also might also have to worry about protecting the iPhone from weather and being dropped (or stolen) while mounted on the bike.

Personally, I like using a computer so I don't have to worry about having enough charge on my phone (I'm doing much longer rides).

I suspect that, "soon", there will be wireless bicycle computers that will used Blue Tooth (and whose transmitters will also be useable by your iPhone).

A fair number of people use the iPhone approach but it isn't going to be cheaper than a computer. If you want to also track your route, the iPhone approach will (likely) be cheaper.

You can get the Cateye Strada Double Wireless (speed and cadence) for about $60.

None of these (especially the wireless versions) are hard to install.

Installing whatever you choose might be a good way for you to get familiar enough to deal with alignment issues in the future.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-04-13 at 07:33 PM.