Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
as for the seatpost
i can think of three possible solutions

take the seat off and bring it with you
although this is not very convenient
run a thin cable around the seat rails and around a frame tube and lock it with a small lock or lock the cable with the u lock used on the wheels and frame although having to feed a cable through your seat every time will take a while
get seat height and angle and fore aft perfectly adjusted... then use a drill with a bit slightly larger than the allen key size on the bolts of the seat binder and seatpost clamp
so thieves cannot loosen the bolts with their allen keys
some companies make locking seat bolts that have a keyed or unique wrench pattern
Good morning, WL !

Replace the expensive new saddle with an old cheap saddle that also feels better. This option fits with disguising the bike generally.

The seat's a problem. Thieves can be expected to carry bolt cutters, so wire is useless. Then you've got weak points at the tube clamp and the post clamp underneath. The Quick 6 has an aluminum frame that is no help at all; carbon would be worse.

Yes, this takes a welder...... Replace the tube clamp with a solid steel nut-and-bolt item. Then measure very carefully with the seat in fixed position. Use power tools to cut a length of hardened steel and weld it to the seat and the top of the clamp bolt.

As I get older and need to lower the seat, cut an inch out of this security rod and reweld it.

What I really don't like -- just for this New York / New Jersey "urban" environment -- the quick-release nuts on the skewers that attach the Quick's wheels. Nobody is racing the Quick 6 bike and you have to put an extra 5 pounds on it with The Hulk's u-lock.

What do you think of using simple nuts, acorn nuts on the ends, and maybe a drop of #1 or #2 Locktite liquid? This rig comes off with a regular socket wrench quickly enough, but maybe it can discourage using a hand held nut driver?

Is there a standard approach to removing this vulnerability?

BY THE WAY: yes, WL, the 64cm Panasonic is way too big for me. Mounting it goes best putting one foot on a pedal, pushing off to a standing position, then stepping over to get fully on-saddle. Now that I can smell a "70" coming round the corner, that's a damn foolish approach to getting on a bicycle. Shrinking her down to 60cm is iffy; a safer choice is more like 58cm. (I'm tall but it's mainly in my torso. 32" inseam for pants.)

One suggestion is to go to a police auction to find me an old lugged 1020 frame with 27x1.25 at the 58cm-60cm size, compatible to the Panasonic. The bikes there go for $10 instead of paying $125 for a reportedly solid frame off eBay or CL.

Bikes take time. I'd hate to lose the Quick 6. Gotta do what I can.

Last edited by samg07094; 06-05-13 at 05:21 AM.