View Single Post
Old 06-05-13, 10:25 PM
havnot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2:01
havnot - Nice Kona. What size tires are you running? What about gearing? I just picked up some 32's for some gravel grider rides. Trying to decide what gearing to go with. Thinking 63 gear inches (42x18).
Thanks. Running a 35mm up front and 32mm in the rear. I can get the 35mm to fit in the rear, but the clearance is a bit tight for my liking 2-3 mm only with the Forte Gothams that I'm running. The front seems like it can take up to a 40mm tire though I'd have to wiggle the tire through especially after having just installed the Kool Stops. The bike as you can see doesn't have any brake bosses for mini-V's or canti's, but the stock road brakes work just fine since I don't plan on doing anything in the mud. I'll use my mountain bike for that!

I'm currently running a 42x16 (71 gear inches) right now and it's a good on-road ratio. However, found it tough going off-trail when I hit any sort of steep or semi-steep and sustained climbs. I was able to power my way through some of the shorter ascents. In the pic I posted, I had to hike-a-bike to the top, though I can clear it with my geared MTB. However, the descent was such a blast!

So all and all, I find the 42x16 ratio good for undulating terrain, but difficult for anything more than that. Saying this though, I am just getting back into biking of any kind so I'm not that bike fit at all. Thinking of picking up the Dos Eno freewheel and going dinglespeed. If I can find the 16/19 freewheel cog, then I'll probably add a 39t chainring upfront and run a 42x16 and 39x19 setup. The 39x19 ratio would be about 51 gear inches. The dinglespeed setup would be like having two bikes in one.