Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
In my opinion (shared by virtually NOBODY ELSE on these forums), they all cause you to fall, sooner or later. Usually more sooner and less later, but you've still got to beat the learning curve.

Since I must ride in traffic, because I'm allergic to falls, and because I want to ride in any shoes I happen to have on, I'm a platform pedal guy - no clips, no straps, no falls.
I share your opinion, FarHorizon! I didn't at first -- I guess I was still trying to justify my purchase of them. But unlike some folks on this forum, I have no fondness for falling, which I did, nor do I enjoy worrying about falling, nor do I enjoy almost falling, which I did on several occasions. On the other hand, I've had absolutely NO near-misses on platform pedals and my feet have not slipped once since I use mountain bike pedals with a pretty good grip. Maybe my pedaling is less efficient but I couldn't tell a difference and I don't mind a good workout.

There's a thread in the commuting forum on this topic right now and several have admitted that they prefer platform pedals so you're not alone, FH!