Bikes: 2005 Norco Wolverine, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help a big guy find the right bike for under $1500

Hi everyone,

First post here.

I'll start out with a bit of info about myself.
I'm a big guy, weighing in at about 350lbs and 6'3 tall.
I've started to diet and exercise; my main physical activity being biking.
I've always loved it and plan on going further with it which is why I'm planning on investing in a solid bike now.
I want something that will last me for years to come, even after I've achieved my goal weight (which is around 220lbs).

I'm looking for "the right bike" and was hoping you lot might be able to help me out.

I ride both on and off road so would like something that handles both well.

I'm coming from a 2005 Norco Wolverine (18" frame), which has suited me just fine until now, but am getting the itch to upgrade.

I realize my budget won't allow for anything extravagant, but am hoping to get into something nice and solid.

If I could swing a couple hundred more, I'd get the Giant XTC 29er 1, but unfortunately can't.

The salesmen at the shop I was at today showed me a Specialized Rockhopper Comp and said that might be good for me. There was also a Diamondback around the same price ($1200), but I can't remember the name. It had a rear suspension as well, though I didn't like the overly bouncy feeling that provided.

Would going with a bike around that price point, $1200, and doing some upgrades be the better option maybe?

I'm also not completely opposed to buying a lightly used bike, though the chances of the one I need coming up are probably rare.

Anyways, I sincerely look forward to what you guys have to say and to getting a new bike!