Old 06-08-13, 08:19 PM
martinus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Non-sense. Have you done centuries on both a hybrid and a road bike? I have, and there is little or no difference in comfort or speed. Most organized centuries end up in a pack ride, and aero becomes less important in a pack. You have the same speed as the group, regardless of bike, provided you can hang in the group.

The fastest I have ever gone on a bike, 51.2 mph, was on a Specialized Sirrus. The fastest I have hit on any of my road bikes is 49.6 mph. It was entirely a function of the hill that I encountered on the Sirrus, and have never ridden again.

The fastest flat land sprint I have ever done hit 41.0 mph (for about a second ), and was on a flat bar road bike. I have hit 39.4 mph on a drop bar bike, same section of road. I had a tail wind on my peak day with the flat bar.

The longest single day ride I have done on a hybrid was 152 miles. The longest single day ride on a drop bar bike is 136 miles. Both of them were equally uncomfortable by the time I finished. Both were solo rides, and with meals, and stops, and visiting company on the way, 10 hour cycling days are fatiguing no matter what you ride.

There is no magical speed or distance gift given by a road bike.
There must be something ... Why are there road bikes ? I would love to see the above examples with some power meter #'s attached ...

If your correct, all the "pro's" on "the tour" , would be on nybrids ... O.o

... and yes, you could, hang on the back of a paceline with a hybrid and go *fast*... until its your turn to rotate to the front. O.O : o)

Last edited by martinus; 06-08-13 at 08:26 PM.