Thread: Tires question
View Single Post
Old 06-08-13, 11:22 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of studded snow tires where their is two rows of studs on each side of the tires center line and when the tires are fully inflated to maximum or near maximum pressure the studs don't touch the road except when you lean into a corner and you are riding on the center strip of tread between the rows of studs. If you run into weather where you need the studs you just let a little air out of your tires and then the studs make contact. Sorry without digging them out of storage I can't tell you the brand and model but it says right on the side of the tires that is how you are supposed to use them and they are deliberately made to work that way for less rolling resistance and reduced wear on the studs when the roads are clear. I doubt the idea is entirely unique to that particular set of studded snow tires and you should be able to find something along those lines to fit your needs.

Edit: ----- And, yes, they ride fine at lower pressures where the studs make contact and you don't have to lower the pressure so low it feels like riding on a flat tire. I do know they are 26" x 1.75" size and they say to run them at 60-80 PSI to get the studs to not make contact and to lower the pressure to 45-60 PSI to get the studs to make contact (depending on rider weight and wear).

Last edited by turbo1889; 06-08-13 at 11:25 PM.