View Single Post
Old 06-09-13, 08:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Well, it really interesting to see the variation on the serial number format. Some are on the dropouts (both sides no less), some are the bottom bracket. Some have five characters, most are seven (for the base number). One has a supplemental set of three characters and another has two supplemental sets of three characters.

Initial analysis indicates that most appear to follow a simple sequential numbering arrangement. There are two major exceptions. First is rootboy's Team Champion, which is also the sole sample with a five character number. However, this may be indicative that the Team Champions were made in a separate division. The other exception is Frank's Grand Record which starts with a "6", while others appear to be pre-1979 and don't get above a "4". Of course, with the limited number of samples at hand, it's too early to make any definitive statements but I just wanted to pop in and thank the contributors and let them know I am working on this.

Lugnut, I've got your serial number. I found it while scrounging some other threads for Moto S/N.