Old 06-10-13, 12:48 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I think I downloaded Mytracks at some point but deleted it because it wouldn't do what I thought it would do. Doing speed/timing calculations by way of a phone GPS system is likely not going to be really accurate IMO anyway. If you're poking along riding up a long hill at 5 mph ( or less ) you have to wonder how accurately the app ( via the satellite signal ) is going to be able to triangulate the calculation for your speed ( seeing that many times it has a problem just trying to track you period. I think that all of this just goes with the limitations of consumer electronics. I think when NASA tracks objects in space they are likely using more sophisticated technology.

Anyway, I do have Trimble Outdoor Navigator on my android. It does tracking and has stats for avg.speed, trip time and such. It wasn't free though and I really haven't used it enough to know whether or not it is accurate. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sadly you might have to just use a standard bike computer as I'm sure there are some that will include both total trip time and total moving time. I love the android stuff but I'm not giving up my bike computer because it's just too useful of a tool.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works.
I will look into Trimble. Don't mind paying a few $$$. Regards bike computer, I have 7 bikes and they already all have various different computers!

Don in Austin